July 21, 2009

life and law school

I’ve always wanted to keep a general blog about what’s going on in my life, and I feel like now is the perfect time to start. I’m moving to Lansing, Michigan at the end of August to attend Thomas M. Cooley Law School, so I thought that this would be a great way for my family and friends to be in the loop once I’m away.

We’ll see how well I can keep it up. I know I’m in for quite a busy time at law school. I already feel so busy and I’m not even back in school yet.

Right now, I’m wrapping up my job in Seattle. For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been working at a law firm, Stokes Lawrence, in downtown Seattle for the past ten months in the administrative services department (before that I was working part time as a paralegal at a different law firm in Puyallup while completing a paralegal program at TCC). I have loved getting to work at this firm. The people here make up such a special community, and I’ve learned so much...about different areas of law, my interests, and my goals. It’s kind of sad and scary to leave, but I know really exciting things are ahead.

It’s also time to pack up my apartment in the U District- YUCK! Who doesn’t hate moving, seriously. So between wrapping up my work, packing, trying to see friends before I leave Seattle, spending time with family in Puyallup, closing out various cable and electric bills, trying to get in time at the lake on the weekends, and whatever else...it has felt pretty busy lately.

I also went to Lansing, MI to attend Cooley’s new student orientation in June. I had a blast! Things could not have gone any smoother. I took a red eye flight to Lansing, arrived early in the morning the day before orientation started, got some sleep, worked on some assigned case briefing, and then met up with my assigned mentor/ambassador, Patrick (2 year student), for a tour of the school and its surroundings. Not everyone in our group came on the tour, since it was just an offer of Patrick’s to show us around before all the official festivities, but in the group of people who did come I met a fellow Seattleite. The next day, the first of three, orientation started. There, I met a bunch more people, and had a group of friends that I ended up hanging out with the rest of the time. It was a lot of fun. I even made friends with a girl who is from Lansing and she’s going to show me around when I get back for school.

Everything about orientation was great. We had lots of sessions on various topics regarding time management, financial management for all those loans we’re sure to accumulate, legal analysis for briefing cases and writing essays for our exams, etc. We even had our first Socratic lecture with a Torts professor on the last day. It was extremely terrifying, but great at the same time. I was used as an example of the professor committing (or not committing, that was the question) battery against me...she was totally guilty. The school did a great job of touching on lots of important information and introducing us to several staff members and current students. I feel like all my questions were answered, my nerves are settled, and I’m ready to head back with confidence. However, I still have a healthy fear and a realistic belief that this will be HARD. One other thing the school did for us was host a housing fair and I found the perfect apartment just around the corner from the school (literally, it’s on the same block). I’m set!

I’m leaving August 23rd to drive to Lansing and classes start September 8th. So follow me as I venture into this new chapter of my life and blog about law school and anything else that comes along.

Thanks to everyone that has given me support and encouragement! You've help make following my dream of attending law school possible.


capital building in Lansing, MI

3 comments:

  1. How fun that you started a blog! I love blogging. I will check yours frequently to see if you have updated. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyyy now i can follow YOUR blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear about your adventures. Ask ANY TIME if you need guidance ;)

    ReplyDelete